Saturday, January 9, 2010

No Flour Cornbread

Before I get down to business, I'll mention that I was interested to see Lisa’s entry below on fellow Oklahoman Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman  I happen to be sitting here with a copy of her cookbook in my hand. Last month, I was talking to Gayle Shanks, owner of Tempe's fabulous local independent bookstore, Changing Hands, who told me that when Ree’s publisher called to arrange a signing at the store, she almost demurred because she didn’t know about Pioneer Woman.  She’s glad she didn’t, because the publisher sent her 400 copies of the cookbook, and they all sold out in a week, before Ree even got there.  The  publisher sent another 400, which arrived the day before Ree’s event.  They’re sold out again. Ree’s website, www.thepioneerwoman.com, gets about 13 million page views a month.  You heard right.


Here’s my contribution to the cornbread challenge.  This is a really basic, old time recipe that consists of not much more than cornmeal. A farm wife could raise most of the ingredients herself and not have to buy anything but the soda and probably the salt.  The resulting bread is very dense.

2 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal                   

1/2 tsp soda,

1 tsp salt

3 tbsp bacon grease

2 beaten eggs

2 cups buttermilk

Mix the dry ingredients together.  Add the egg and oil to the buttermilk, stir in the dry ingredients, and beat until the batter is smooth.  Pour into a greased, 9X9 pan and bake at 400 for 35 minutes.

1 comment:

Lisa Hall said...

I hope Ree comes to a bookstore near me. I think the way her blog and cookbook has taken off is fascinating.