Thursday, January 21, 2010

Food and Fiction- Food for Thought

Surfing around for inspiration, I found a food meme at Kate's Book Blog I thought provided, well, food for thought. :>) (Kate, thanks for the inspiration!)

I decided to see what answers I could find in some of the books I have at hand or recently finished reading.


1. Food from fiction that you'd like to sample:

Chocolate Pie with Pecan Crust from "Dark Tort" by Diane Mott Davidson. Her Goldy Schulz caterer mysteries never fail to get you hungry. I've only a read a few and have a few on my shelf to read, but I enjoy how good she makes all these delicacies sound, many that I've never tried.

And the pie? Well, I love chocolate and pecan. But in this story, the delicacy was a painting, not a real dessert. Too bad.


2. A fictional meal you would like to have attended:

Sitting at the Mad Hatter's table in "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll.

I can't wait to see the movie with, of course, Johnny Depp. The effects, scenes, costumes and colors are fantastic and certainly will inspire many a miniature scene. I know I'm seriously thinking about recreating that table scene in miniature. (* See the movie trailer.)


3. A memorable work of fiction set in a restaurant or a café:

Funny that the only thing that comes to mind is the song, "Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie. My brain must be stuck.


4. Food you've tried that didn't live up to the expectations raised by a fictional account:

I don't know about you, but I'm not about to try something too different that I've never tried before. Call me chicken. (Alfredo sounds good. See recipe, Chicken Alfredo with Noodles)

5. Food from fiction that you couldn't help but want to try even though you knew you would hate it:
I won't try it if I already hate it. Would you??

6. An unappetizing food description from fiction:
?

7. A recipe you've tried or a meal you've recreated from fiction:
Haven't tried it yet but Joanne Fluke has a Candy Cane Cookie recipe in "Candy Cane Murder" that sounds pretty yummy.

8. Food you associate with reading:

Hot chocolate. Nothing sounds more comforting than curling up with an afghan (a Snuggie maybe?), a good book, and a cup of hot chocolate.

9. Your favourite food-focused book/writer:

I enjoy Diane Mott Davidson's books, but I get a kick out of seeing what other mystery authors make their characters eat. That sounds like a good idea I'll tackle in another column.


** Feel free to share your answers.

4 comments:

Marian Allen said...

1. Food from fiction that you'd like to sample:
Fried green tomatoes from the Whistle Stop Cafe. I make fried green tomatoes and love them. I know there's a Whistle Stop Cafe cookbook, but I'd like to be THERE and sample THIER ones. --Just about anything from CHOCOLATE, naturally!

2. A fictional meal you would like to have attended:
Babette's feast

3. A memorable work of fiction set in a restaurant or a cafe:
Other than Fried Green Tomatoes? Of course, the whole work wasn't set there. The Petrified Forest?

4. Food you've tried that didn't live up to the expectations raised by a fictional account:
Scones. They're freakin' BISCUITS. And I don't mean British cookie-biscuits, either, I mean plain old down-home Southern BISCUITS. I do love biscuits, but I was expecting something a little more...I don't know...fancy.

5. Food from fiction that you couldn't help but want to try even though you knew you would hate it:
Just about anything from a Nero Wolfe book. Calves liver marinated in squid juice and garnished with pickled rabbit ears? "Satisfactory," you say, Mr. Wolfe? Very well, sling me some of that, with a side order of scrapple.

6. An unappetizing food description from fiction:
Scrapple from James Mitchner's THE NOVEL (?)

7. A recipe you've tried or a meal you've recreated from fiction:
Well, scones, obviously, and hot chocolate from LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE. Hot chocolate made from water rather than milk is actually VERY good.

8. Food you associate with reading:
Chocolate chip cookies with walnuts, because my mother makes them for me and we have some with tea before I read to her.

9. You favourite food-focused book/writer:
Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries. Archie can make a sandwich and a glass of milk sound "Satisfactory," as Wolfe says in highest praise. Wolfe and Fritz can make the fiddliest and most obscure dishes sound edible.

Loved your post, Chris! Thanks. :)

Chris V. said...

Oh good answers! Well, I'm still not sure if fried green tomatoes sound good. Never tried them obviously.ha!
If I could find a fictional description of something I know I'd hate - it would be biscuits and gravy. popular here in Wisc. and I just don't know why. Fat, calories, and well, yucky.

Marian Allen said...

Oh, fried green tomatoes are (is) the queen of foods! Slice a tomato onto a plate, sprinkle it with salt. Mix flour and seasonings (I like Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt) and dredge the slices in that. Some people use cornmeal, but I was taught to use flour. Fry in a hot pan in enough oil to cover the pan's bottom until browned on both sides. Drain. Best when crunchy on the outside and gooshy on the inside.

And biscuits and gravy are DIVINE!

Sharon said...

8. Food you associate with reading:
It has to be salted pumpkin seeds or popcorn. I love to munch and read at the same time.

Fun post - sorry I don't have time to think of more answers. I picked the easy one!

Sharon
http://grandmaisawriter.blogspot.com