Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Eat or Die

A friend of mine kept telling me about Wen Spencer's Ukiah Oregon books--yes, that's correct, no comma between the town and the state, because Ukiah, Oregon is where he was found and Ukiah Oregon is the name he was given. Don't worry about that.

This is near-future science fiction. In fact, it was so near-future when it was written that it's now set in the near past. Don't worry about that, either.

She kept telling me about this series, and I kept going, "Oh, how interesting. Would you like some more coffee?" So she GAVE me the whole series for Christmas, and now I'm totally hooked.

To say that Ukiah Oregon is half-alien is do Spencer's imagination poor justice. That is SO just the beginning! He's nearly indestructable, but the same thing that makes him nearly unkillable also makes him very vulnerable. I'm hampered here by the same thing that hampered my friend: I don't want to tell you all the cool stuff, because it's so cool to find it out for yourself by reading. That, and you'd think I was nuts. I'm talking major imagination here, folks.

At the same time, the characters are very real; larger-than-life in the same way that real people are in our minds. The misunderstandings and miscommunications these folks have are the kinds real people have, and are suffered or overcome in the same ways that really happen. No fake stuff for the sake of pushing the plot here.

As for the title of this post.... What would you expect someone who is nearly indestructible would need to do to recover from being mostly dead? Sleep and what?

MA

1 comment:

Gayle said...

>>As for the title of this post.... What would you expect someone who is nearly indestructible would need to do to recover from being mostly dead? Sleep and what?<< Eat. Or as the Coneheads would've said, "Eat mass quantities." :-)