Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Natural For This Blog

I just finished reading the anthology MANY BLOODY RETURNS, which couples vampires with birthdays. One's thoughts inevitably go to Sugar, our red-laced mascot, about to take a butcher knife to Bubba's...er...cake.

Speaking of butcher knives, there's a Jim Butcher story in this anthology--Jim Butcher being the author. The innocuously named Harry Dresden is the main character. The lead story is by Charlaine Harris, featuring Sooky Stackhouse of tv's True Blood fame.

But, with all due respect to Butcher and Harris and all the other talented writers in this anthology, for my money, the best of the bunch is Bill Crider's "I Was A Teenage Vampire", written in the style of Holden Caulfield. Dear God, it's funny. Crider is a talented writer altogether, and has a story in THE GIFT OF MURDER, this year's Wolfmont Press mystery anthology to benefit the Toys for Tots. He also likes cats.

Naturally, I recommend THE GIFT OF MURDER as a holiday gift, since it benefits Toys for Tots (none of the authors nor the publisher has or will receive any profit from the sales--it all goes to the kids), but I also recommend MANY BLOODY RETURNS, if only for Bill Crider's roll-on-the-floor story.

MA

1 comment:

Dana Fredsti said...

I LOVE that anthology, Marian! And I agree that Crider's story was just hilarious!