Saturday, December 26, 2009

Ginger

I hope everyone had as nice a Christmas Day as Don and I did.  We got lots of presents and  had a delicious brunch with pleasant company at my friend Nan's house.  She made a breakfast casserole with eggs, sweet corn, and chile peppers, a cranberry, orange, and apple relish/salad, and a coffee cake to die for.  I must get that recipe.  In fact, I do have the recipe for the cranberry salad.  I'll post it on this site someday.  You'll thank me for it.

If you're finding yourself on this Boxing Day wishing that you hadn't indulged in so much Christmas dinner, let me suggest that you do yourself a favor and do something that's both seasonal and medicinal.  Make yourself some fresh ginger tea.

Ginger is soothing, warming (especially good for those of you in the Midwest who are up to your earlobes in snow and ice), and excellent for nausea  and an upset tummy.  For one quick cup, slice an inch-long piece of fresh ginger off the knob, peel it, then sliver it into little pieces and bring to a boil in eight ounces of water.  (You certainly can grate it, if that's easier for you.  Just grate about one teaspoon directly off the knob into the pan of water.)  After the ginger water comes to a boil, cover and remove from heat, then let it steep for ten minutes or so, or until it's nice and golden and smells spicy.  Strain, pour into a mug, and enjoy.  I like mine straight, but most normal people sweeten theirs.  Don likes a teaspoon of honey.  I have been known to steep the ginger along with about an inch of cinnamon stick, as well.

And since we're talking about ginger, friends, and recipes, my friend Julie Hedlund gave me a really wonderful and easy recipe for ginger cookies that I would really be remiss not to share with you this holiday season.  And if you're thinking that you've had enough cookies this Christmas, just remember that ginger is medicinal.

Julie's Ginger Cookies

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup shortening

1 egg

5 tablespoons molasses (1/4 cup plus 1 T.)

pinch of salt

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 cups flour

 

Cream sugar and shortening together.  Add the remaining ingredients, and mix well.  Chill dough for awhile - makes it easier to roll into balls.  Once rolled into a ball, coat with sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to cooling rack.


No comments: