Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Cookies

This has been a particularly cookie-filled Christmas season for me.  Last weekend, I attended my first cookie exchange.  To tell you the truth, I’ve never even heard of a cookie exchange before I was invited to one.  Am I a poor excuse for a foodie and a woman?  Apparently everyone else in the U.S. of A. has been doing cookie exchanges during the holiday season for decades.

If by some slender chance any of you Dear Readers out there are as sheltered and ill-informed as I, here’s how it works:  Each invitee brings 2 dozen homemade cookies to the exchange.  A party ensues, during which time everyone scarfs down as many cookies as she can hold.  When all revelers are stuffed to the gills and can barely waddle, each party-goer picks through the left over cookies and takes home a variety to share with the family.  

What a good idea!

While we were in the midst of exchanging cookies, one of my friends told me that her church holds an annual “Cookie Walk” to raise money.  This is a variation of the cookie exchange that goes thus : participating members each bring agreed-upon number of cookies, all of which are arranged across a long table.  Since we’re talking about a religious congregation here, or some other large group, this results in a humongous collection of cookies of every imaginable variety.  Then, attendees can buy an empty box, say, $5 for a small box, $10 for a large one, and go down the table and fill’er up.  You can take as many cookies as you can stuff in the box.  The suggestion was made that if you busted the cookies up, you could fill more square footage in the box.  If you’re really want value for your money, you could end up going home with a box of all different varieties of cookie dust.

BTW, Happy Hanukkah to all my Jewish friends, and Happy Cookies to all.

1 comment:

Dana Fredsti said...

I've never done a cookie exchange, but I love the concept.... Oink!!!