Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Put Your Signature on Thanksgiving

My grandmother's pasta salad, Uncle Danny's deep fried turkey, mom's broccoli casserole; they are all signature dishes. They are so intertwined with the ones I love that I cannot thinks of these foods without thinking of the ones who make them.
My mother-in-law makes great potato salad, a family friend named Hazel bakes the best rolls. One of my husband's grandmothers fixes banana pudding, the other stirs up a delicious broccoli salad. All of these foods symbolize family gatherings, comfort and love.
I began my married life in search of my signature holiday dish, the dish that I will be expected to bring each year. For the past two years, I have taken a layered salad to my mother-in-law's house for Thanksgiving. It has been for at least three years that I have brought cranberry salad to my mom's house. Seems I have proudly found my signature dishes.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: