Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Going to Mitford Makes me Hungry.



Jan Karon's Mitford Series is set in a lovely little town, high in the North Carolina mountains.The town is enchanting. Karon's characters are everyday people, that become like friends to the reader.
Currently, I am reading At Home in Mitford. This is the first of the series. I am learning about Father Tim, who is a rector in the Episcopal church. He is also a bachelor. Several people are central in his life, including a pretty lady who lives next door.
This is such a good book to have on the nightstand to read before going to sleep. It is the kind of book that makes me have sweet dreams.
Some of those sweet dreams, of course, involve food. It is fitting that a book centered around a member of the clergy would be full of food descriptions. Food and church are completely intertwined in my mind.
One of the most enticing foods I've discovered in the book so far is an orange marmalade cake, for which Esther Bolick is famous. Esther makes on to have after a church meeting. When it comes up missing, one woman is so disappointed that she can not get a slice that she almost cries. A cake that would drive one to steal and another to cry must be a dang good cake!
Good thing Jan Karon has a book of recipes. Here are some recipes of from the books, including the orange marmalade cake:

2 comments:

Gayle said...

I bought my MIL this book for Christmas. I'm even more convinced after reading your book that she'll love it. Thanks, Lisa.

Dana Fredsti said...

I love the Mitford books... I love all books that make me hungry...