Monday, October 19, 2009

Did you know...


...that a half pint of raspberries has all the fiber you need for one day?
Not that I need an excuse to scarf down raspberries on a daily basis. Whether by themselves in the morning for breakfast or soaking in champagne for...well...any meal of the day, I do love the raspberries.

Brian used to have conniption fits when I wanted to buy raspberries out of season. He's from Michigan and they evidently fall off trees for free back there. In California, they're a bit more expensive. And I admit, one of the best memories I have of times spent in Michigan are ones going to raspberry and blueberry farms where you pick your own berries for a fraction of the cost of pre-packaged berries out here...and you get exercise too!

I found a jar of my mother-in-law's raspberry jam stuffed back in the freezer a few years ago. It was like finding buried treasure: totally unexpected and worth its weight in gold. If you haven't had homemade raspberry jam, I'm here to tell you it's a treat. The flavor of the berries is in every bite. For me, it was also a taste of nostalgia. I made that jar last as long as I could.

It's just about the end of raspberry season here in California. I just bought a pint of raspberries at our local produce store. 2.99 a pint. I imagine Brian would wince and then tell me how cheap they are in Michigan. To me, 2.99 for a taste of heaven and a bit of nostalgia is well worth the price.

1 comment:

Marian Allen said...

As my British son-in-law might say, I'm not actually too wild about rahzbries. I do like raspberry jelly, though. When I make it, I save the seeds and put them in Daughter #2's jar, because she LOVES the seeds!