Friday, October 23, 2009

Avoiding the Halloween candy snare

First of all, let me apologize for not posting last Friday. I was having a meltdown. From Tuesday afternoon through Thursday night, someone from an ISP in Rugby, England was taking down my website. The entire week was a nightmare.

But enough of that; on to my post.

In years past, I would have bought two or three bags of Halloween candy by now, and our family would have eaten them. I would then buy more to hand out on Halloween and whatever was left over, our family would eat. It's not too much of a problem for the rest of the family. But I'm here alone for much of the day. With the candy. And it calls to me. Especially when I'm having a stressful day.

Fortunately, there was no candy in the house last week when I was having my computer-inspired, tearful, poor-me meltdown. In fact, there has been no Halloween candy in the house at all. I've even found a "free" alternative to candy that won't get our car egged or our windows soaped.

We don't have very many trick-or-treaters, but still, I'm prepared for the ones we do have; and I didn't have to pay anything extra for the treats. Trick-or-treaters may choose from bags of Cheetos or Fritos. Another option would be lemon pudding, but only for four children.

Here's the thing. In September, school started and we had to get back into the swing of lunch packing. At Sam's Club, I bought variety packs of chips. The children each took the chips they preferred to school. Left over were the Cheetos and Fritos. Having this happen a few times, we now have twenty-two bags of chips. The lemon pudding is due to a fad Lianna enjoyed for awhile but then tired of. A four-pack of handi-snacks await the child who enjoys sour treats.

Although I can continue to go down the Halloween candy aisle and smell, I have an excuse not to buy Halloween candy. At least, not until it goes on sell November 1. Then, I'll have to come up with another excuse to remain strong. Maybe some kind, skinny soul will buy up all the good stuff.

2 comments:

Dana Fredsti said...

I'm sorry you had a meltdown and so sympathize with it! We don't get trick or treaters here...so I'm not buying candy this year at all.

Lisa Hall said...

I always liked getting something salty in my Halloween treat bag. Sweet and salty is the best combination!