Friday, September 4, 2009

Steak Secrets Revealed!

Isn't that an exciting title? I started to title this post "You go, Grill!" in honor of the upcoming Labor Day, but I decided I liked the new one better.

Last week I was a guest on Daytime Tri-Cities, a local morning talk show. I was standing around with the other guests waiting for the show to start and struck up a conversation with a chef from Southeast Culinary & Hospitality College. Even though he was a pastry chef, he was able to answer my question of why restaurant steaks taste so much better than the steaks we make at home. I said, "When we put them on the grill, they get done on the outside before they're done on the inside. Either they're burned on the outside and done [we like our steaks medium well] in the middle, or else they're fine on the outside but too rare in the middle."

He smiled and gave me the solution used by restaurants. Put the steaks in a pan with a little olive oil. Sear the steaks on both sides, and then put them in the oven until they reach the desired doneness. Then you'll have a tender, juicy, yummy steak.

3 comments:

Dana Fredsti said...

I dunno, Gayle... You Go, Grill made me do a spit take!

Marian Allen said...

Gayle, I'm delighted to know this secret! And I agree with Dana--You Go, Grill is the title of your next novel! heeee

Gayle said...

Tank you, tank you. (That was my Lawrence Welk impersonation...or, more specifically, my impersonation of the SNL guy's LW impersonation. If you haven't seen it, check out my blog at http://www.gayletrent.com/blog/ and see the Labor Day post.) ;-)