Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What Kind of Dog?

Our dog is a Lab/Dalmatian mix...or is he a setter...or a sitter? He loves to lol in the flowers, and can't seem to understand that when we order him out, we mean FOREVER, not just until we turn our backs. Rocks don't deter him. Nothing deters him.

I have, however, trained him not to get into the vegetable garden, to the point where rabbits eat the green beans with impunity.

I think he does it to spite us.

Here is a poem I posted on my blog a couple of days ago:

Ballad of a Doomed Dog
by Marian Allen

Hang down your head, you Joe-dog,
Hang down your head and whine.
Hang down your head, you Joe-dog,
Poor dog, your butt is mine.

Caught him in the garden
Mashing down the plants
If he’d been wearing trousers,
I’d-a kicked him in the pants.

(Chorus)

Lily-of-the-Valley,
Hosta, moss and fern–
Joe will nap upon them.
–Dog, you’re a-gonna burn.

(Chorus)

Every time I catch him,
He slopes off with looks of shame
Says, “If it’s a plant bed,
What have I done to blame?”

Hang down your head, you Joe-dog,
Hang down your head and whine.
Hang down your head, you Joe-dog,
Poor dog, your butt is mine.

He's mostly a good dog, though. He means well, and many of us can make no stronger appeal than that for ourselves.

MA

2 comments:

Dana Fredsti said...

LOL!!!! And you've planted a new brainworm in my head...

Gayle said...

How cute! Now, if you could do a version for a dog called Holly and a cat called Pepper.... ;-)