Monday, August 17, 2009

Leftovers

I swear, I am behind in life these days! Give me a deadline and I'll watch it slither by me, unable to do more than give a feeble grab at its retreating tail. I'm perpetually catching up with everything.

Sigh.

When I get this rattled and stressed, there's nothing better than NOT having to cook when I get home from work. Especially after a weekend of intensive party prep (Friday night/Saturday morning and afternoon) and then the party itself (Saturday from 4pm till ???). Our friend Pete came up to cook the main dishes (skewers of marinated beef and shrimp, grilled veggies, jerk chicken legs, and an amazing salad with scallops, black olives, avocado and a spicy remoulade dressing to die for) and our friends brought wine, beer, side dishes, cheese, hummus, homemade cheesecake, and oh, so many tasty delights! The party was a success and our fridge is now stuffed full of leftover yumminess, including my favorite item, the grilled shrimp.

Both Dave and I have writing deadlines we absolutely have to meet, so tonight (and for most of this week), we'll be heading straight home after work, take care of the necessary housework (with multiple cats, this is Sisyphean endeavor), enjoy leftovers and get to the writing. No fuss, no cooking, no bother! Although considering the amount of food leftover, we really should have another party so it doesn't go to waste...

3 comments:

Gayle said...

I so get not wanting to cook, especially when stressed out. I'll come sit by you and we'll watch those deadlines go by together. :-)Take care!

Donis Casey said...

I need to get me some friends like yours.

Dana Fredsti said...

Gayle, Donis, please come visit and help me eat these leftovers...