Saturday, July 18, 2009

Granita

I'm sorry to be late posting today.  I got out of the house early to run my errands in order to miss the greatest heat of the day.  Not that it was cool this morning. The overnight low was 90 degrees.  However, the forecast high in the Phoenix area today is 115.  I am not making this up.

I think it's time for a granita.

If there is any frozen treat easier to make than a granita, I don't know what it is.  I am particularly fond of watermelon granitas, but I''ve made and  enjoyed strawberry, cucumber, honeydew, mango, and cantaloupe as well.  I expect that any juicy fruit (or vegetable!) would work.  I wonder if anyone has ever made a tomato granita?  Now, there's a thought.

I have an ice cream maker, and have used it for granitas, but it's just as easy to make it in a metal mixing bowl.  Being a seat-of-the-pants cook, rather than look up recipes, I generally just throw the thing together, usually with nothing added but the fruit and some sweetening, but of course one can add juices, extracts, syrups, anything that makes you think, "Oh, that sounds good."  Here's how I'm going to make my watermelon granita:

Blend 4 or 5 cups of watermelon cubes in a blender with about 1/3 cup of simple syrup.  Pour the liquid into a metal mixing bowl and place in the freezer.  At thirty minute intervals, take the bowl out and stir to maintain a grainy texture and prevent the mixture from freezing into a solid block (unless you like that sort of thing).  When the mixture is completely frozen through and the texture of a grainy sorbet (about three hours), scoop into dishes and serve.

Stay cool.

1 comment:

Dana Fredsti said...

Add some vodka and you have a very popular concoction served at Ren Faire after parties...