Monday, June 22, 2009

Twilight Tour and Hamburgers



Whoops! Late to post this morning! I have a partial excuse; I drove to Los Angeles Saturday morning and then back Sunday morning (up at 5:30 on Sunday to make the drive up the coast) because it was Twilight Tour time at EFBC/FCC (Exotic Feline Breeding Facility/Feline Conservation Center) and I emceed the event. Dave handled the raffle ticket sales while I dispensed information and activity updates over the microphone, wheedled the attendees to consider memberships, adoptions, and yes, buy more raffle tickets! I also urged people to volunteer, telling them quite truthfully that working at EFBC changed my life. Where else can you exchange kisses with a tiger or cuddle a baby leopard? After you've paid your dues and learned the ropes, of course!

I used to volunteer at least once a week, sometimes twice before I moved up to San Francisco. Seven years of remarkable experiences and lots of hard work. To read more about that, go here. Now, sadly, I only get down to EFBC for the Twilight Tours and even that's pushing it with my writing schedule. But it's worth the drive and the time out from writing. I hope my life will eventually accommodate a renewal of some sort of regular schedule there for me. I miss it so much that when it's time to leave at the end of each tour, it hurts my heart to walk away.

What does this have to do with food, you ask? Well, at each Twilight Tour, the Lancaster Rotary Club sets up a grill and, for five bucks, you can get a burger (or two hot dogs), bag of chips and a drink. These are literally the best burgers I have ever had - I always get mine 'carnivore style' (no bun) with cheese and a lettuce wrap and the meat is so succulent, the flavor reminiscent of the perfect summer barbecues of childhood, where everything tastes that much better because you've spent the day running around and working up an appetite... I love these burgers. And the proceeds are donated to EFBC.

EFBC's chapter of AAZK (American Zoological Association) holds a bake sale each Tour, with a mouth-watering assortment of fresh-baked cookies, brownies, breads, and cakes, as well as fresh fruit for those looking for a healthful option. To which I say "give me a cookie!" Again, the proceeds are donated to EFBC. Talk about blowing your diet for a great cause!

Sigh. I'm still on a high from the weekend. And I'm still craving more time at the cathouse and a couple more of those burgers!

4 comments:

Hagelrat said...

those pics are awesome.

wildcatlovr said...

Oh Dana, the pics are great! Brings back all those wonderful memories!!! I can't wait to visit the cats again!!!!! One day soon, I hope!!!

Susan

Dana Fredsti said...

Adele, they make me happy just to look at them. :-)

SUSAN!!! You have to come back out to visit!!! It's so nice to see you just on line!!!

Gayle said...

Dana, I'm jealous. I want to come visit! :-)