Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Petite Woman Tackles Giant Cabbage

Monday evening, as I stepped outside my back door, I tripped over what seemed to have been a large boulder that had somehow rolled upon my doorstep. I looked down to see that the object I had tripped over was not a giant boulder, but an Amazonian head of cabbage.


My brother-in-law had come by and left it for me. He plants a garden every summer. It is this year's garden that has produced the massive cabbage that is now mine.


By Tuesday morning I had moved the cabbage to my kitchen counter. After my coffee, I began attacking the smelly beast.


The first knife I grabbed was not big enough. I went for my largest kitchen knife, which is really more akin to a machete. I hacked away, taking the cabbage down to a tiny nub.



All-in-all I filled five gallon-sized food storag bags. If I were the pickling type, I would be making some big jars of kraut right now. Instead, I am thinking about egg rolls, slaw, braised cabbage and Asian salads. Please send your best cabbage recipes ASAP!!!!

4 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Boil cabbage in salted water until almost done, then add noodles and cook until done. Drain and serve with butter, salt and pepper.

Boil cabbage and potatoes together until both are soft. Mash and butter.

Cabbage is an excellent addition to soup.

Layer boiled cabbage with flour, onion, salt, pepper and cheese, ending with cheese. Add a little milk, cover and bake at 350F for about 45 minutes.

Dana Fredsti said...

Dang. Marian did the job already . The mash and butter sounds so yummy... except no noodles. I'd love the potatoes and cabbage with butter... Yummy!!

Gayle said...

How about cole slaw? The 4th is coming up, and lots of people like cole slaw on their hot dogs. I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure my mom does if you'd like it.

Lisa Hall said...

I have pork chops in the fridge. The layered dish or the cabbage mashed with potatoes and butter would be really good with them!

I have a recipe for a vinegar slaw that keeps for up to 2 weeks. That might be good, too!