Friday, May 8, 2009

The Trents' Own Little Pandemic

What a week! Busily working on The Quick and The Thread, which is due to the publisher by June 1, I do not have time to get sick.

I'm sick.

Not as sick as my son, though.

My son had been coughing for a couple days. Since he has had bronchitis in the past, I got worried he might have it again. So yesterday morning, I took him to the urgent care medical center we frequent (who bothers with appointments when they're sick?). The doctor (who, by the way, looked as if she should be on E.R. making eyes at Noah Wiley) said his lungs sounded good but she wanted to test him for mycoplasma, the virus that causes walking pneumonia. The test was positive. The doctor warned that this is an aggressive "bug" and that it has an incubation period of up to four weeks. In other words, I could have the bug but not show symptoms for up to four weeks. At that time, my son would be better but could catch the bug again.

When my husband got home from work, I told him I thought the rest of us should be tested. After all, if another of us has the bug, wouldn't it be better to be treated for it now than for us to keep reinfecting each other? I called the urgent care facility and spoke with a nurse. She said having the rest of the family tested was a wise idea.

Every member of our family has mycoplasma. However, none of us except Nicholas had symptoms until the rest of us were told we had mycoplasma. Now, it seems the power of persuasion has our throats hurting, our bodies aching and our heads hurting. And if we hear of any more symptoms, we'll probably have those, too! We are all on antibiotics, though, and should be well soon.

In the meantime, if you have the usual upper respiratory problems, fatigue and body aches that just won't go away, have yourself tested for mycoplasma. I'd never even heard of it before yesterday, but apparently, it's nasty stuff. Maybe not as bad as the "flying pig virus," but it's all relative.

Also, if you have a sore throat, that ice cream sundae looks pretty good, doesn't it? It will help mend the body and the soul. :-)

4 comments:

Donis Casey said...

Oh, my goodness! My best wishes to you all for a speedy recovery. Eat garlic potato-peel soup!

Gayle said...

Thank you, Donis. Do you have a recipe?

Dana Fredsti said...

Smart to have everyone tested, Gayle! And yes, that sundae looks awfully good...and I don't have a sore throat!

Lisa Hall said...

I had mycoplasma one summer. I was so tired and extremely thirsty all the time. A very observant doctor noticed spots on my eardrums, which she said was an indication. Hope your household is all well soon.