Friday, May 22, 2009

Summer Salad and Other "Stuff"

Sorry to be so late in the day with my post, but alas, the Virtual Writers' Conference is behind us. The good thing is that it will stay up and continue to be a resource for writers. There has been so much interest in the conference that I'm hoping we can do another one...maybe a mini conference in the fall or something. We'll see.


Shading my eyes at my son's baseball games has had me longing for a new hat. So this morning, I went to VistaPrint and ordered this one. How cute is this?! Plus, the skull and flowers design was one of the standard designs, so I didn't have to pay extra for it. All it cost was $4.?? shipping. :-) I know you can see "Gayle Trent," but can you see the little spider web in my "G"? [giggle] I love it. And I love VistaPrint, too. Where else could I have bought a personalized hat for under $5? I might have to order a Fatal Foodies hat next. Or a t-shirt with The Seven-Year Stitch Mystery Series. Or a car magnet. Or.... Yeah, I get obsessive.

Okay, now to the summer salad. I had this at my desk yesterday. While I'm the only person here (at my house) who will eat it, you might spring it on some of your Memorial Day guests. It's soooo good. As a matter of fact, I got this recipe from a Jill St. John cookbook years ago. This is a modified version, but it's really simple, tangy, sweet and spicy.

Summer Salad

Vidalia Onions
Navel Oranges
(Both of these are dependent upon the number of people you are serving. With me, two oranges and one onion are plenty.)
Italian Dressing (I use Fat Free)

Cut your oranges and onions into slices and layer them in a bowl. Once you've finished layering the oranges and onions, cover the entire mixture with Italian dressing. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator. It's best to let the flavor combine overnight. And don't think, "Ew, oranges and onions" without giving it a chance.

2 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Oranges and onions certainly go together in Duck a l'orange, so why not in a salad? I also have a salad recipe with onions and mandarin oranges as two ingredients. So I'm all kindsa with you on this one, girlfriend!

Gayle said...

Thanks, Marian! It's good to know I'm not alone. :-)