Saturday, May 23, 2009

Oxalic Acid Blues

We discovered recently that my husband's kidney stones are of the common calcium type.  His body does not properly excrete oxalic acid, so it seems that in addition to all the food restrictions we already put up with, he now has to restrict his intake of high oxalic acid foods.  Sadly, this includes all kinds of veggies that are normally very good for you.  Many dark green things are therefore verboten.  No spinach, kale, green peppers.  Tomatoes are okay, but not tomato paste or sauce!  Rhubarb is terrible. Beans are bad, except for lentils.  No nuts or berries.  Wheat germ is bad, so whole wheat bread isn't the best thing to eat.

Oh, well.  As I read on one web site, when you have to restrict your oxalic acid intake,  "white food is your friend."   So until I can get myself educated on how to cook healthy, vegetarian, low oxalic acid meals, we'll be eating a lot of cauliflower, cheese, and rice.

Here is a recipe for a cauliflower sandwich spread that I've been making for years, which fits our requirements exactly and is delicious to boot.

Break one small head of cauliflower into flowerlets and steam until very tender.  Put florets into a large bowl and mash with a potato masher.  Add 1/8 cup of mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to taste.  Spread the filling over one piece of lightly buttered toast and serve open faced.  (I like to use a light onion rye for my toast.  I also enjoy a few sauteed onions on the sandwich.)

4 comments:

Marian Allen said...

I'm so sorry about your husband's ongoing troubles. He's lucky to be married to such a creative cook.

The cauliflower spread sounds fabulous!

My favorite cauliflower dish is Golden Mountain Cauliflower--Microwave head of cauliflower 7 minutes. Mix Dijon and mayonnaise, salt and pepper, spread over cauliflower. Grate cheddar cheese over it. Microwave again until cheese is melted.

Donis Casey said...

I will try this. I'm really in the market for yummy cauliflower recipes right now.

Gayle said...

The thought of no tomato sauce made me so distraught I set out to find you a substitute! :-) Go to http://www.recipezaar.com/basic-nomato-sauce-tomato-free-tomato-sauce-359835. I'd never heard of this site, but when I plugged "oxalic acid-free recipes" into Dogpile, it came up. Hang in there.

Donis Casey said...

Wow, thanks, Gayle!