Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Magic of Truffles


Dave and I visited my sister two weekends ago and she cooked several dishes for dinner one night. The one that stands out the most to me is asparagus grilled on her cast iron panini grill, lightly coated with olive oil and truffle salt. We also had a cheese plate and one of the cheeses was a truffle cheese from Italy.

Have you ever tasted truffle? Musky, sultry...a taste and a scent like none other that I've experienced. The subtle flavor, according to WiseGeek.com, " is often compared to garlic blended with an earthiness or pungent mushroomy flavor."

I don't agree with the comparison, actually. It's much more subtle than garlic and while 'earthy' at least starts to describe the scent, 'musky' works a lot better for me. The Love Potion website talks about truffles as an aphrodisiac (the post there is very comprehensive and far more detailed than I could write, so I urge you to check it out!) and I admit the scent and flavor bring to mind things of a sultry, sensual nature.

The hint of truffle salt on the asparagus turned it from ordinary albeit tasty fare to something far more exotic and decadent than any vegetable dish I've tasted before. I look forward to experimenting with truffle infused olive oil to see what I can do with other veggies!

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Dearest Dana:

Please click this link (http://www.godiva.com/promotions/desserttruffles.aspx?WT.AD=AM_CHOCOLATE_DESSERT_TRUFFLES) to learn more about truffles. I knew you'd been badly misguided when I saw the picture accompanying your post.

;-)

Dana Fredsti said...

Dearest Gayle...

*LOL!!!*