Friday, April 17, 2009

Random


"Mom, you are so random." I get this comment often from my daughter, so I decided to incorporate it into this week's post and share some random stuff with you.


Jorge Garcia rocks! Jorge Garcia is the actor who plays Hurley on Lost. A couple weeks ago I sent a request to him for an autographed picture for each of my children, since their birthday is on April 21 (Tuesday!) and we are huge fans of Lost. Not only did he send the pics yesterday (and as you can see, I could not wait until their birthday), but he personalized them. I'm going to order a print of this picture and send it to Mr. Garcia with a thank you note. Did I mention Jorge Garcia rocks?! Look at the smiles on those two precious faces!

Ugly dinners are okay if they taste good. My father-in-law is in the hospital again, and my MIL stopped by after a visit to the hospital on Tuesday. Knowing Tuesday was likely to be a busy day, I'd made dinner just after breakfast. I peeled potatoes and put them in the crockpot, added frozen pork chops, a can of cream of celery soup and some Wyler's beef granules. I added peas and rolls that afternoon, and dinner was ready. However, I wasn't expecting company. Of course, when Tim's mother stopped by at dinnertime, we invited her to eat with us. When I'm having company, I'd prefer the meal to look like something Martha Stewart whipped up. This practically never happens. I'd let the crockpot cook everything a little too long. The potatoes were a little brown and the pork chops were falling apart. But, the potatoes had taken on the flavor of the seasonings and pork chops and were really good. And the fact that the pork chops were falling apart just made them easier to eat. The meal was a success. In fact, the next day, my MIL called and thanked me for dinner. She said, "It was so good, and it kept me from having to go home and eat by myself." And, as Martha would say, "That's a good thing." :-)

Virtual Writers' Conference As many of you know, I come up with harebrained ideas on a regular basis; and I usually put them into action. Well, here's one idea that may not have been so harebrained after all. This week, I decided it would be great to host a Virtual Writers' Conference where writers could get a ton of information, and authors and other publishing professionals could get a ton of publicity. Win/win. Right? I announced it on Monday. Later that day, we had 22 participants. Now we have 28, including best-selling author Deborah Smith, Fatal Foodies very own Christine Verstraete, John Kremer, Book Marketing Consultant Extraordinaire and BookEnds Literary Agency. Two of BookEnds' agents are currently seeking new clients, so that's exciting news for Virtual Writers' Conference participants. To learn more about the Virtual Writers' Conference (which will take place from May 19-22), see http://virtualwritersconference.blogspot.com/. If you'd like to participate in the conference, please let me know.

1 comment:

Dana Fredsti said...

Heh. I love the picture of your kids with the pictures of Jorge Garcia!
And the virtual writers conference is a great idea - so I'd better get to work on my post for it!