Monday, April 27, 2009

On Vacation


Sort of. A road trip down to L.A. and San Diego, lots of driving for five days, but a nice change of pace. Plus I get to see my parents. I'm a total mama's girl and moving to San Francisco has reduced my bi-monthly visits to once every few months or so.

We stopped to visit with my sister in Venice Beach Friday night and Saturday. We feasted on organic whole-grain bread accompanied by a cheese plate (truffle cheese, sheep's milk cheese, a French soft cheese that makes the best brie seem sub-standard, and several others I didn't even get to because I was too busy pigging out on the three I just mentioned), the best salami I have ever tasted, broccoli popcorn (broccoli cooked in the oven on high, drizzled with lemon juice, olive oil, truffle salt and garlic), and some scrumptious wines. Little too much of the latter, but I have no regrets! I love eating this way. Can't do it very often because of the inevitable expansion to my waistline. But I do love it. Especially with wines like Tobin James French Camp Zinfandel and Wolftrap Mourvedre/Syrah/Viognier blend.

There's something about what I think of as picnic food that makes a meal fun. Things like roast chicken and bread that can be eaten with my fingers; chunks of cheese and fruit, home-made cookies...and, of course, wine. It makes any meal a festive occasion for me, more so than a fancy seven course dinner served on fine china. I suspect I have a large amount of barbarian in my genetic makeup.

Well, time to hit the sack. Mom and I are getting up early to go for a walk around Mission Bay. We'll stop for coffee (tea for Mom) and maybe a chocolate croissant along the way and enjoy the perfect San Diego weather.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

It's official. I'm jealous. :-)

Dana Fredsti said...

Don't be, Gayle. I'll have to do another post about the stuff that goes wrong when I go on vacation. :-)