Tuesday, April 7, 2009

More Eggs

I love hard-boiled eggs, too. They're great in pasta salad, macaroni salad, potato salad, Chef's salad and almost necessary in egg salad. ...er, yes.

Absolutely, sliced hb eggs on white toast with mayonnaise is a gift from heaven!

Here is a recipe from a mystery with recipes in that I'm working on (I don't know why she calls it this):

LeJune's Do Not Pass Go Deviled Eggs
  • hard-boiled eggs, shells removed
  • mayonnaise
  • powdered mustard
  • prepared mustard of various kinds
  • pickle relish
  • salad dressing
  • powdered paprika
  • salt and pepper
Put a bowl of eggs and containers of all the condiments on the table. Each person takes an egg, cuts in half, mashes it up with a fork and adds what he/she likes. No arguments, no complaints.


I like the idea of dying eggs with natural dyes. We did that one year. Beet juice makes a GORGEOUS pinky-red. Don't remember if I read this idea here or elsewhere, but I must try it: wrap a hard-boiled egg loosely in crinkled foil before dropping it in the dye. Supposedly, it comes out sort of batiked.

Okay, fellow fatales, here is my death-trap for the week: If you crackled the shell of a hard-boiled egg and dropped it into a cup of water in which tobacco from a cigarette had been boiled.... Then gave the beautiful golden-brown-crackle-patterned egg to a habitual smoker....

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Marian, what a wonderful idea to have a deviled egg buffet! I, too, love hb eggs. In fact, I have a little thingy where I can make them 4-at-a-time in the microwave. You've got me wanting to make a batch. :-)

Marian Allen said...

As long as we're talking about hb eggs, I must mention the Easter when our youngest was 3 or so. All was going well with the dyes, when the child, "who," as my mother says, "shall be nameless, but her initials are Sara Allen," asked if she could eat one of the eggs. "Certainly," sez I. CRUNCH. "Um... take the shell off, first...."

Lisa Hall said...

Yum! I'm going to make some egg salad!