Friday, April 24, 2009

Going home


My grandmother, Dora, went home Wednesday. She'd been wanting to go home for quite a while, even when she was at her home. She'd say, "I want to go home. I need to call Mama and Daddy to come and get me." After a recent fall, she was placed into a nursing home. My sister-in-law told me yesterday that my grandmother had spotted a door at the end of the hallway and confided to her friend, "If we can figure out how to get that door open, we can go home." My dad, brother and a man from the funeral home pushed her through that door Wednesday night, and she went home. Her mom and dad are there, as is my grandfather and a lot of people she knows and loves. She used to love to do the Charleston, and I like to imagine she and her friend Elsie have moved some furniture and are dancing all over God's living room. Since one of Mamaw's favorite dishes was chicken and dumplings, I'm putting my quickie version of chicken and dumplings here for you. If you want a classic version of chicken and dumplings, your best bet is probably the Southern Living website.

Quick Chicken & Dumplings

Frozen dumplings
32 oz. container of chicken broth
Large can of white meat chicken
A pinch of sage
Salt
Pepper

Empty the container of broth into a pot. Add seasonings and bring to a boil. Add frozen dumplings according to package directions. (The ones I get have several servings, so I just put in as many as I think my family will eat.) Cover, reduce heat and allow the dumplings to cook for 25-30 minutes. Add chicken and allow the mixture to cook for another 10-15 minutes.

8 comments:

Martin Bartloff said...

Dear Gayle, My condolences.

--Martin

Gayle said...

Thank you, Martin.

Donis Casey said...

What a lovely, lovely story. Please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss of you beloved grandmother

Gayle said...

Thank you, Donis.

Marian Allen said...

Gayle, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your precious grandmother will always be in your heart, as my grandmother is in mine. Of course, mine is usually egging me on to do something outrageous. (I can imagine her laughing herself into a coughing fit, right about now).

Gayle said...

Thank you, Marian. I appreciate everyone's encouragement this week. You're a great group. Thanks again.

Dana Fredsti said...

Gayle, I'm so sorry for your loss...

Lisa Hall said...

I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your loving tribute shows that she was a very important person in your life.