Saturday, April 4, 2009

Easter Eggs

I cannot blame my tardy entry on taxes this week.  The only excuse I can offer is that yesterday, my husband had another procedure to try and get his embedded kidney stones to pass (to no avail, yet), and after the hospital trip and long wait and vague outcome, I’ve been so wiped out all day that it’s a wonder I’ve gotten anything done at all.  Or perhaps instead of whining, I should say that I’m reluctant to supersede Rachel Dillon’s wonderful guest blog, below.


Easter is coming, and I’ve been thinking of Easter eggs.  I love hard-boiled eggs.  They are such a versatile food.  They are wonderful on picnics, in egg salad and potato salad and chef’s salad.  I love them deviled or just peeled and eaten plain with salt.  


Of course, the best fun to be had with hard-boiled eggs is when they are dyed for Easter.  When I was growing up, we always dyed our eggs with the little dye pills that came in those commercial packets, along with a bendy wire egg picker-upper and punch-out cardboard egg stands.  Over the past few years, I’ve experimented with dying eggs using natural dyes, like onion skin.  I have no little kids around, but I would think that trying to dye your eggs in Welch’s Grape Juice would be an activity that a little one would enjoy immensely.


There’s no end to the materials that can be used to color an egg.  Turmeric is a really good dye.  Cherries make an actual red egg, if you leave it in the juice long enough.  I find that adding a teaspoon of vinegar to the dye water intensifies the color, except with onion skins.  Most juice dyes work just fine cold, if you let the egg soak for a while.  Some dyes work best if the egg is boiled in them.  One fun way to do it is to wet good sized pieces of onion skin and wrap them around the eggs, tie the egg up into a piece of clean cotton cloth, and boil it for 5-7 minutes.  I’ve never noticed that these food dyes flavor the egg itself.


Here’s one of my favorite simple ways to use a boiled egg - a boiled egg sandwich :  Put mayo on two pieces of bread, then slice two hard-boiled eggs into rounds and arrange the rounds on one of the pieces.  Add big, thick chunks of juicy tomato, some onion, if you like it, salt and pepper, or basil, or curry.  Top with the other piece of bread, and eat it up.


2 comments:

Gayle said...

So sorry about your husband's medical problems, Donis. I hope he's on the mend now.

Speaking of Easter Eggs, I was thrilled yesterday when I saw that a local church was selling homemade, chocolate-covered coconut, peanut butter, maple nut and cherry eggs outside a grocery store we frequent. I bought a peanut butter and a coconut, and I felt like a kid again. Nobody makes homemade chocolate Easter Eggs like elderly church women! :-)

Donis Casey said...

OMG! I've never tried to make my own chocolate Easter egg. I'd love to see a recipe