Saturday, March 7, 2009

Succotash

I don’t have cable television, so I must ask. Is the Food Network Cooking Challenge a reality show about cooking? I mean an amateur contest, not Iron Chef or anything featuring professional cooks against each other.  Something with non-professional chefs being judged on their cooking?  I’d watch that.


Not long ago I saw succotash on the menu at a local eatery, and was disappointed to find that it consisted of nothing more than corn kernels and baby limas cooked together in water.  It might have come out of a can.  It made me wonder if anyone really knows how to make succotash any more.


If you’ve only eaten succotash out of a can, you have no idea what the real thing is like.  You can make a quite passable succotash from frozen baby limas and frozen sweet corn kernels, but if you want the authentic succotash experience, this is the way to do it.


2 cups of fresh shelled baby lima beans

@ 12 ears of young sweet corn (enough for 2 cups of kernels)

1/3 cup of butter

1/2 cup of cream.


Place the limas in a pot and barely cover with cold water.  Scrape the kernels from the ears of corn and put aside.  Boil the beans with the scraped cobs for about 30 minutes.  Remove the cobs, add the corn kernels to the pot, and boil for 15 more minutes. Add the butter and cream and alt and pepper to taste.  Do use real cream.  Milk just isn’t the same in this dish.


Now, that’s succotash.


5 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Sounds wonderful--except for the cream. I totally love succotash, but never had or saw it with cream in it. Maybe that's a local thing around here. I mean, we DO put spaghetti in chili, so there's no telling what culinary oddities you might find in this neck of the woods.

Gayle said...

You know, thanks to Sylvester the Cat, I can't see the word "succotash" without mentally putting "suffering" or "thuffering" in front of it! ;-)

Donis Casey said...

I wonder how many perfectly good words have been screwed up by Warner Brothers?

Donis Casey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana Fredsti said...

I'm thinking ANYthing with butter and cream is a good thing... And Gayle, the second I saw the title of this post, I heard 'thuffering thuccotash' in my head. :-)