Monday, March 23, 2009

Simple Pleasures Revisited


I used to bake all the time when I was young. Cookies and cakes, mainly. I didn't inherit the ability to make really good pie crust that runs in my mother's side of the family. Besides, I'm not much of a pie person. Oh, I won't turn down a piece of French apple pie covered in brown sugar/butter crumble...but overall I have no trouble saying no to pie for dessert.

When I lived in Glendale, we didn't have a working oven for most of the 10 or so years we lived there so I only baked when I visited my mom in San Diego or an occasional experiment with the toaster oven. Besides, I was heavily into the no-carb way of eating for the last three years in Los Angeles. By the time I moved to San Francisco and into a house with a working oven, I was out of the habit of baking.

I fell back into the habit out of economic necessity. My boyfriend, you see, is a cookie monster. An old style cookie monster, not the new politically correct one who yells 'CARROT STICKS!' instead of 'COOKIE!' Making a batch of two dozen freshly baked chocolate chip cookies is cheaper than buying a bag of less than half that amount of Trader Joe's vegan chocolate chip cookies (Dave's preferred brand). So I've taken up baking again.

I whipped up a batch of classic Toll House recipe chocolate chip cookies this weekend. The smell of brown sugar, butter and chocolate filling the kitchen brought back memories of a time with much less stress...and the taste of one fresh out of the oven? Nothing can beat it.

Now I just have to figure out how not to put on 10 pounds...

2 comments:

Marcy said...

Dana cookies! I remember Dana cookies! They're absolutely the BEST! Especially when baked during a sleepover, and served with strawberry daquiris (covering the blender with a pillow as to not awaken my parents). Oh, those were the days!

Dana Fredsti said...

Marcy! You are here!!!! Heh. I used to bake a LOT of Dana cookies back in those days... and I remember the clandestine daquiris too. Heh....