Friday, February 6, 2009

NOT Too Good to Be True

Oh, my goodness. . . . I have to share with you this wonderful recipe from Holly Clegg (http://www.hollyclegg.com). Holly first sent me this recipe last year when I did an article for SheKnows.com on healthier romantic meals for Valentine's Day, and I got to thinking about it this morning. This particular recipe is from her new Trim & Terrific Cookbook. Bear in mind, this recipe makes 36 brownies with 138 calories per serving. And they are DELICIOUS! Which is why a serving for me is more like 1,242 calories. But you probably have willpower. I need to have my brownies rationed. It's a freezer-friendly recipe, so maybe I should simply freeze half a batch before I get started.

Gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

1 18.25-ounce package devil's food cake mix
1 12-ounce can fat-free sweetened condensed milk, divided
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1 egg white
1 7-ounce jar of marshmallow creme
1/2 cup peanut butter morsels
1/2 cup chopped peanuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch non-stick baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix, 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk, margarine and egg white.

Pat two thirds of the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan (the batter will be stiff and sticky). Bake for 10 minutes.

In a mixing bowl, mix the remaining sweetened condensed milk and the marshmallow creme. Stir in the peanut butter morsels and peanuts. Carefully spread the mixture evenly over the partially baked brownie layer. Drop the remining batter by spoonfuls over the marshmallow mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set.

Visit Holly's site (http://www.hollyclegg.com) for other delicious recipes altered for weight watchers, diabetics and cancer patients. Great stuff.

1 comment:

Dana Fredsti said...

HOw can that possibly be low-fat? Reading the ingredients made my stomach expand...