Saturday, January 31, 2009

Simple Food

The previous Shepherd's pie recipe reminds me that sometimes the very best recipes are the simplest.  One can create great dishes out of complicated, startling and unusual combinations of ingredients.  But sometimes, one or two perfect, quality ingredients are all you need to create a masterpiece.

My mother used to can her homegrown tomatoes, which were so wonderful that we often made a light summer supper out of a bowl of canned tomatoes.  The chili that my grandmother served in her cafe consisted of nothing more than ground beef and chili powder.  I love chili of all kinds, but I have never had anything as good as my grandma's.  

My husband's favorite birthday cake is simple white cake with white icing, and sliced bananas between the layers.

2 comments:

Dana Fredsti said...

Tomatoes are one of my favorite food groups. sliced with a little olive oil and basil and pepper...yum!

Donis Casey said...

Fantastic. Also a nice piece of warm bread with a little butter on it.