Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My New Kitchen Toy

Every Christmas, one of my biggest gift requests is for kitchen things. I usually just browse when I see kitchen items, because if I allowed myself, I could go extremely nuts, and wind up with more than my cabinets and drawers could hold.
After reading Marian's post, I may ask for a smoker next year. It's a whole different level of kitchen gadget that I may decide I can't live without. My neighbor has one in his yard, and the smells that come from it are mighty tempting! One for the kitchen, liker Marian's sounds super-cool.
This year, I go a few smaller, much simpler tools. The one I want to write about this week is my immersion blender. Some people call it a stick blender.
My interest was piqued long ago when I'd seen immersion blenders being used on the Food Network. The blender is long and skinny, like a stick. There's a propeller-like whirly-bird that blends on one end and has controls on the other. It can be stuck down into hot soups, sauces cups of smoothie ingredients, salad dressings, etc.
It could not be simpler or more functional. There's a button to make it blend, and a realease button to seperate the blender from the controls for cleaning. I clean mine by letting it set in a glass of soapy, hot water. The device is small, so storage is a snap. I keep mine at the front of a cabinet, because I use it so much.
These handy-dandy tools are widely available, and don't cost a fortune. Ladies, if you don't have an immersion blender, you don't know what you're missing!

1 comment:

Dana Fredsti said...

Funny, the older I get, the more I want things for the house and gadgets for the kitchen. One of our requests for christmas this year was a knife sharpener!