Saturday, January 24, 2009

Food to Feed the Soul

I’ve been AWOL for the past couple of weeks, since my husband Don has been having some pretty incredible health problems lately, involving an ER trip, two hospital stays, kidney failure, dialysis, a defibrillator implant, and a bunch more stuff you really don’t want to hear about.  Suffice it to say that things are not over by a long shot, but they are much improved, and if you are a glutton for punishment and want to know more, I did write about it on my own web site.


One thing this experience has taught me is that the value of friends cannot be overestimated.  Once Don got home from his first hospital stay on the 16th, I have had innumerable friends bringing healthy and delicious food to my house so that I can concentrate on my spousal nursing duties.  We have eaten better in the last couple of weeks than we have in I don’t know how long.  Food, my friends, is love, as any wife/mother/daughter/grandma knows, and here is a rundown of some of the wonderful love we have received since this ordeal began. 


Whole wheat angel hair pasta with red pepper alfredo sauce.

Rotini layered with spinach in marinara

Vegetable shepherd’s pie topped with couscous

Moroccan rice and lentils with yogurt and hard boiled eggs, with Greek salad

Vegetarian lasagna with salad and Italian bread

Southwest veggie bake with a cornbread lattice crust


Not to mention Texas peach cobbler, apple brown betty, lemon squares, lemon poppyseed muffins, ice cream and berries.


Don is, to quote the doctor, “skin and bones”, and her directions are for him to eat like a pig.  He’s been doing very well following her instructions in that area, though of course he may gain enough to look normal, but I am going to look like a blimp when this is over.


Do I care?  Not by a long shot, because we can both use all the love we can get.

4 comments:

Gayle said...

I'm so glad Don is on the mend. "Eat all you want." The prognosis of my dreams. ;-) I'm also happy you've got terrific friends looking after you.

Donis Casey said...

Thank god for friends. Enough cannot be said.

Dana Fredsti said...

Donis, I'm so sorry to hear about Don's ill health, but SO glad to hear he's getting better and that your friends are feeding your stomachs and your souls!

Lisa Hall said...

I'll keep Don in my prayers. Sharing food is an expression of love. You and your husband are obviously very loved!