Friday, January 9, 2009

Cinnamon . . . It Really IS The Winner, Mon!


One of my New Year's resolutions was to work to find ways to increase my energy level. With the sequel to Murder Takes the Cake and a three book deal from NAL in the works, I knew I'd need all the energy I could get. I was reading the January 26, 2009 issue of First when I came across an article which said, "Fatigue-inducing blood sugar swings are common in the winter, when weak sunlight dampens the body's production of glucose-regulating serotonin. But USDA studies show that consuming 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon daily can offset this effect by slowing the body's absorption of carbohydrates, improving blood sugar control by 29 percent in three days."

I decided to give it a try. So far, so good. I've not been craving sweets as much as I usually do. . . but maybe that's in part due to the fact that with the cinnamon, I feel like it's a dessert. And, I do feel a bit more energetic. Try one of my favorite concoctions to see what you think.

Decaf Cafe Au Lait

Put a splash of fat-free skim milk in your mug. Add a regular amount of decaf coffee. I add two packets of artificial sweetener (you might like more or less), a dollop of fat-free whipped cream and a liberal sprinkling of cinnamon.

[You might prefer regular coffee, but I like this cozy drink in the late evening.]

Peanut Cinnabanana Bread

(If you can think of a better name, please let me know. This one is probably not for the faint of heart, but I think Elvis--whose birthday was yesterday, by the way--would have loved it.)

One slice of bread
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
1/2 a banana
Cinnamon

Spread peanut butter on your bread, add slices of banana and sprinkle with cinnamon. There's your grain, protein, fruit and blood sugar regulator. Yay-rah!

2 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Oh my heavenly yum! Wine, chocolate, now cinnamon.... Have I been taken in the Rapture or something?

Dana Fredsti said...

I like Cinnabanana Bread myself.

I use cinnamon and nutmeg in my coffee all the time. It really does perk up the flavor and it's supposed to be really good for you! I also use it in my ground turkey when I make taco salad...I'm into the spicy sweet/savory combos...