Saturday, December 6, 2008

Posole

A couple of weeks ago I promised to give you the recipe for one of my favorite winter comfort soups, posole.


I’ve eaten hominy and hominy grits all my life.  Hominy is a Native American staple, and was always around when I was a kid growing up in Oklahoma. But we always ate our hominy straight.  I learned to make posole, which is a yummy, spicy, hominy-based stew, after living for a while in Texas, close to the New Mexico border.


I’ve seen many posole recipes, with many variations on the ingredients, but almost always including pork and hominy.  Since Don and I have been cooking vegetarian for thirty years, my posole recipe is of course meatless.  It’s also easy and fast, and a wonderful quick and warming meal on a winter day.


Donis’ Posole


one 16 oz. can golden hominy

one 13 oz. can of chopped tomatoes with juice

1 cup vegetable broth

2-3 cloves chopped garlic

1 small chopped onion

one 4 oz. can of whole, roasted, mild green chiles, chopped (you can buy your chiles already chopped, but I like the texture much better when I chop them myself.)

1 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tbsp chili powder, or to taste. How hot do you like it?

2 tsp olive oil


Heat the oil in the bottom of a soup pot over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and saute until transparent.  Add chopped peppers, cumin, cinnamon, and chili powder and heat for about a minute until fragrant.


Add hominy, tomatoes, and broth all at once, stir well to mix, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Serve with hot corn tortillas. 


If you have any of this soup left over, it’s even better reheated the next day, after the flavors have been allowed to marry overnight in the fridge.


2 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Oh,Donis, I LOVE Posole! We have a friend living here, originally from Mexico, Francisco Garcia, who makes the most DIVINE Posole--lots of meat, I'm afraid, but life with vegetarians has enabled me to make it without meat as well. It's really really good with squash in it. Mmmmm....

Donis Casey said...

Excellent suggestion. I've done posole with squash, and it is delicious. I've done it with both yellow crookneck (summer) and butternut (fall/winter). Can't go wrong.