Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hard Candy Christmas


Okay, I have used Dolly Parton as inspiration for yet another post. The title of her song sounds sweet and sentimental. When I looked at the lyrics online, I realized that it is actually about getting through the holidays when things are not going so well in our lives.
If you want a truly sweet "Hard Candy Christmas", look at this lovely website for a local candy company:
They make many unique treats, including peppermint candy baskets, like the one pictured above. Their peanut butter candy is sooooo good! If you want to send a special candy gift, they have lots of great choices.
Here is a recipe to make your own hard candy:
2/3 cups white corn syrup
2 cups sagar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon flavoring
several drops of food coloring
Directions: Combine sugar, syrup, and water. Cook to hard ball stage or 300 degrees. Add flavoring and food color. Pour into iron skillet that has been in freezer. Cool at room temperature. Take knife and crack.
After cracking, I roll the pieces in powdered sugar. Cinnamon flavoring and red color make a really nice candy.
Warning! Be careful when making hard candy. Hot sugar lava sticking to your finger creates a nasty burn!

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Oh, my goodness, Lisa! This is right here in Bristol, and I didn't even realize it. Can you go into the shop and buy the candy there?

Lisa Hall said...

I'm not sure. I bet if you call ahead, they'd let you come in.