Tuesday, December 2, 2008

For Whom Some Foods Are Invariably Fatal

Around Thanksgiving/Christmas--turkeys and pigs.

Anybody who knows me, knows that my first word was, not mama or dada, but "MEAT". Still, I have many friends and relations who are vegetarian, and my husband and I eat a lot more vegetables and fruit than meat. Here is a casserole we had last night. As it happens, it's a chicken casserole, but it's easily adaptable for vegetarians, and I'm posting the vegetarian version.

Vegetable and Rice Casserole
  • 1 can Cream of Celery or Cream of Mushroom soup
  • 1 can water
  • 3/4 cup uncooked rice
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder or chopped sauteed onion to taste
  • pepper
  • 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables or 2 cans mixed vegetables (drained) or any durn kind of cooked or semi-cooked vegetables you durn well please
  • seasonings to taste
Grease a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Mix all ingredients. Cover and bake at 375 for about 50 minutes. If desired, top with shredded cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir and serve.

To make it non-vegetarian, you can use, as the original recipe suggested, Cream of Chicken soup and top the rice-vegetable mix with boneless chicken breasts. Or, to please everybody, make the vegetarian version and cook the chicken breasts separately and serve them, cubed, on the side to be added as desired.
MA

1 comment:

Dana Fredsti said...

I have never been able to get past Cream of anything soup, not since I was a kid. I know I've had things with them in it too...and liked the dishes quite a bit. But I can't know about it...

I feel very immature on this one. :-)