Monday, December 22, 2008

Cat Food

If you have or ever have had companion animals, you probably have experienced their intense attention at meal time. You know...you're happily eating your breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack and suddenly you have the overwhelming feeling you're being stared at. Intensely. You -- and your food -- are the subject of a single minded focus rarely seen outside of Superbowl fans or strip club patrons. More than, say, two animals and you feel like Tippi Hedren in the last scene from THE BIRDS.

In our household, there are 10 cats. Leaving food unattended is a sure fire way to lose it; one of my cats, Foster, ran off with an entire sausage. He stole it from the cast iron pan on the stove when I left the room for, oh, maybe a minute. Watching him run through the house, one end of the sausage in his mouth, the other trailing between his front legs like an antelope felled by a lion, the other cats on his tail, I was half tempted to let him keep it - I couldn't stop laughing. We ended up chopping it into little pieces and distributing it amongst the feline populace. Trust me, you wouldn't have wanted to eat it either.

Any meal involving seafood starts a clarion call. Foster (the sausage thief) has a meow like a
donkey mixed with a party horn - HEEEEEowwwww.... He jumps up on the arm of the couch (we don't have a dining room table, so most of our meals are eaten at the coffee table), fixes me and/or my plate with his slightly crossed blue gaze and stares with kitty hypno-vision, giving his pathetic HEEEEowwwww every few minutes. The other cats, with the exception of Bug Bear, are slightly more polite. They'll just stare with varying degrees of 'give me now' intensity and/or huge pathetic eyes straight out of a black velvet painting. Bug Bear believes in the direct approach - front paws on my lap, nose and mouth at the edge of my plate. This is not allowed and he is immediately scolded and displaced, but he has the persistance of the Terminator.

What amuses and amazes me about felines is the variety of weird things they eat; things you wouldn't think they'd like. Foster has a passion for corn on the cob, with or without butter. This was discovered after he stole a partially devoured corn cob off my plate during an indoor picnic (we were eating on the floor), vanished from the room and happily consumed the rest of it. Little bits of corn were found all over the house.

Several of my cats love chips. Potato chips, corn chips, popcorn...not gluten free chips, though. They will not touch my beloved Identity Crisis chips from TJs. They also love pizza, little pieces of cheesy crust. Buttered toast...not so weird, I guess.

But avocado? Yup, avocado. And cooked broccoli too. Who would have thunk it?

So what's the weirdest thing YOU'VE seen your cat or dog eat? Enquiring minds want to know...

"AH...dat was good!"

Foster after his meal...

8 comments:

Dana Fredsti said...

I'm going to comment so I don't feel so lonely here!

David Fitzgerald said...

I had a cat that liked to eat dried sheets of sushi roll seaweed paper...

Dana Fredsti said...

Since seaweed smells like seafood, I can kind of see that...

lorac said...

We had a cat, Montgomery, who also liked corn on the cob. Once my dad left the table with a mostly consumed ear of corn on his plate. Mom and I were surprised to see Monty sitting in Dad's car, consuming the reminder of the corn. And Mister Mao liked coffee--and even coffee grounds!

Dana Fredsti said...

I'd forgotten Mao liked coffee grounds...

Other Lisa said...

I think Mao liked peanut butter too!

Strange, strange, strange,

The other night, Spike was licking up olive oil with chipotle chili pepper in it.

Marian Allen said...

Naturally, both our cats come running when they hear the can opener--even though we have a MANUAL CAN OPENER--because I give them juice from salmon and tuna cans. One day I was opening a can of peas, and Katya gave it a pass, but Al sat at my feet, staring and mrrrOWWing piteously. "Kitty cats don't like peas," I said. To prove it to him, I gave him a small dish. He ate it all and begged for more. Even *I* don't like mushy peas. He likes canned veggies, though. I think it must be the high sodium content....

Dana Fredsti said...

HAH! Marian, that's too funny... must be a British shorthair cat!