Monday, December 1, 2008

Broccoli Popcorn

Broccoli as a fun food? She's got to be kidding, you say. While some of us do like our greens, very few people think of broccoli or brussel sprouts as a yummy snack. I certainly didn't until my sister made what I've come to call broccoli popcorn for us when we were visiting and I started craving the dish on a regular basis ever since.

You will need:

Oven heated to 500 or on BROIL (depends on your oven. Lisa's heats up quite nicely at 500, ours demands the broil setting).
Glass baking dish (you can use a cookie sheet, but it's hard to clean up afterwards)
Fresh broccoli heads and stems,as much as you feel like eating
Olive oil - the good stuff!
Lemon juice
salt
any other herbs or spices you think would be tasty

Heat up the oven, spread the broccoli on the dish, drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, sprinkle with salt and herbs, put under the broiler/in the oven until the broccoli is crunchy. You'll want to stir it up and get both sides. I like it cooked to crunchy browned crispness. You can also use frozen broccoli, but it doesn't get as crunchy. It does, however, lend itself to being blended with seafood - I poached scallops in lemon juice, white wine and a hint of butter, drained them, then added it to the broccoli in the oven with grated Mizithra cheese. Can you say yummy?

P.S. I thought I had this scheduled to post automatically, but... it didn't. D'oh!

3 comments:

Lisa Hall said...

My little girl asks for broccoli all the time. I'll have to try this!

Dana Fredsti said...

It's so yummy, Lisa! I crave the stuff, which is totally weird...

Cole Roberts said...

I've been wanting to make broccoli popcorn since I saw it on Top Chef last week. I stumbled upon your site in my search. Thanks for the recipe!