Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Amish Frienship Bread...Don't blame me if you become a slave to it!



One Christmas gift from my husband was a book by one of my favorite authors, Celia Rivenbark. Bless Your Heart, Tramp and Other Southern Endearments has had me laughing out loud and nodding my head in agreement. One essay from this book that I particularly enjoy is, Revenge of the Amish Friendship Bread.

Celia writes about all of the love and care that one must devote to their starter for Amish Friendship Bread. It made me recall the day that I recieved my bag of starter from a co-worker. Anyone who has ever maintained starter for Amish Friendship Bread or sourdough bread knows where I'm coming from.

I faithfully tended to my starter and baked my lovely loaves for months. The result was moist, beautfiul, sweet, fragrant loaves that I used to enjoy with my mornng coffee. Then, I was put on bedrest with my pregnancy. Some sacrifices had to be made, and my Amish Friendship Bread starter became one of the casualties.

Someday, I will again take up the practice of tending to a bag of starter. If you think you're ready to take it on, here's a link that has the recipe for starter and instructions for doing your own bread.

2 comments:

Dana Fredsti said...

HAH! I've been through the Amish friendship bread starter agony... Must. Not. Let. It. Die!

FriendshipBread said...

We kinda enjoy the process of making friendship bread.