Monday, November 24, 2008

The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich Combo

Okay...my sister is visiting and we are both winos...er...oenphiles. Wine connoisseurs.

Okay. Winos. Fine. Are you happy now?

So I made breakfast sandwiches for Sunday brunch today. Healthful breakfast sandwiches. Let me describe.

Turkey bacon (three fat slices per sandwich)W
Whole grain English muffins
Low fat provolone cheese slices
Fried egg with lemon pepper
Black olive tapenade

Put it all together and...well...yum.

That, however, was not enough for the ideal Sunday brunch.

I've been saving a bottle of not too expensive, but VERY good Bordeaux I bought a year ago, saving it for just the right meal. A Chateau la fleur Mongiron, 2003. When I took that first test bite of the breakfast sandwich, something told me this was the moment, the meal, that this bottle was waiting for. So I opened it, put in the wine snorkel (it aerates the wine the same way decanting it does, but without the wait), poured a glass, took another bite of sandwich and then a sip of wine.

Perfection.

Lisa agreed after I gave her a sip of my wine when she'd had the first bite of her sandwich. Sunday brunch decadence. It doesn't get much better than this.

3 comments:

Lianna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gayle said...

Sounds great, Dana. Is your sister staying through Thanksgiving?

P.S. I deleted an earlier comment after realizing it had my daughter's profile instead of mine. :-)

Dana Fredsti said...

Hah! I post as my boyfriend a lot 'cause his G-mail account pops up...

Lisa isn't staying through Thanksgiving, but we've had enough yummy food and wine to qualify.. :-)