Sunday, November 16, 2008

Inspired by exhaustion and minimal options

I spent all day yesterday writing and was ready for a nice hot meal. Unfortunately the pickings in the fridge were slim and I wanted something easy, yet didn't want to order out (budget and all). So I pulled out the following items:

Roll of polenta (you can buy it this way at Trader Joes)
leftover chicken/apple sausages that had been in the freezer for over a month
can of black olives
jar of pasta sauce (also from Trader Joes)
the dregs of a bag of parmesan, feta, and mozarella cheese

I heated the oven to 400 and poured a little olive oil in the bottom of a glass baking dish. Then I sliced the polenta into relatively even slices and put a layer down on top of the olive oil. Added some pasta sauce, sausage slices, olives and cheese. Repeated the layering, saving most of the cheese for the top. Cooked it for about 30-35 minutes, then let it sit for a bit.

May I just say 'yum?'

We had it with some light red wine, a pinot noir from Talus. A little went a long way and other than the cheese, it was relatively low in fat. And for those of us (me!) trying to avoid wheat, the polenta was a great option instead of lasagna. I had it for lunch again this afternoon after it had
solidified a bit more in the fridge and it was even better. I recommend it when you want something comforting, tomato-sauce based and Italian, but with a reasonable calorie count and fat content. Or if you just want something yummy that goes with red wine!

4 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Dana, that sounds DIVINE! We can't buy polenta here in the boonies, but I've just learned that polenta and corn meal mush--which we CAN buy here in the boonies--are the same thing, so I guess I'm in luck!

Dana Fredsti said...

Yup. Corn meal mush is indeed my beloved polenta. We are fnishing up the leftovers tonight...OH, so good...

Lisa Hall said...

This sounds so good. Gotta try it! After the baby is born, I'll have to have it with some red wine!

Dana Fredsti said...

Lisa, definitely have it with the wine when it's safe!