Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Holiday Season... Fatal Foodies Style




I've been thinking about how the Fatal Foodies' passion for food and passion for books food are so intermingled. Is it that those who are patient enough to devour every word of a book, allowing plots to unravel and characters to develop are the same type of people who savor every bite of our food, taking time to enjoy various flavors and aromas? Do those of us who read with such detail that a story comes alive in our mind's eye also ponder the complexities of how ingredients come together to form tastes and textures? I think part of it must be that we are sensory driven people. We love how a good writer can take us places, introduce us to people and allow us to sample foods we have never even heard of.
Perhaps I'm a Fatal Foodies snob when I declare that Fatal Foodies may just have a superior ability to enjoy all the sights, sounds, and tastes of the upcoming holiday season. For it is our love of sensory details that will allow us to take in each tiny twinkling light and notice every delighted child's smile. Old familiar tunes will make us weep with sappy sentimentality, and the smells of cinamon, cloves, and sage may very well make us picture our grandmother's hands preparing holiday feasts. I count us lucky for our ablilities to make glorious experiences out of things that many people may take for granted. Fatal Foodies, we are a blessed bunch!

1 comment:

Dana Fredsti said...

What a lovely post, Lisa! I am quite proud to be one of the Fatal Foodies! And yes, I get dribbly and sentimental when I hear certain holiday songs. I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS always kills me...