Monday, November 10, 2008

Dinner at Farallon



Friday night Dave and I had dinner at Farallon Restaurant, courtesy of work. It's not a place
we could generally afford to go on our own dime and we've wanted to go there for a long time. I mean, you walk by the front windows and the decor is spectacular.The ceiling lamps are in the shapes of giant fairytale-esque jelly fish. The walls are all curved, like the inside of a seashell, no harsh angles or sharp edges. And the food is spectacular. Here's what we had:


SEARED MAINE DIVER SCALLOP
broiled Greenlip mussels, caramelized sweet onions, saffron vinaigrette

WILD MUSHROOM BISQUE
Madeira chantilly, Extra virgin olive oil, chives

STEAMED AUSTRALIAN KINGFISH
wild mushroom gnocchi, toasted hazelnuts, porcini fondue

ROASTED LAKE SUPERIOR WALLEYED PIKE
Black truffle polenta, baby spinach, pearl onion jus

HONEY RICOTTA CHEESECAKE
Bellwether Farm's sweet ricotta cream,
pine nut- pistachio praline, fig-Gew├╝rztraminer jam

CHOCOLATE BITES
Chocolate truffle
Dark chocolate almond cluster
Milk chocolate peanut butter pave'

I had a champagne cocktail and a glass of Oregon Pinot Noir. Dave had a Fog Cutter cocktail (citrus and rum and other yummy things) and some chilled sake. The portions were generous (considering the prices, this was a good thing and also a surprise - I've found a lot of expensive restaurants are usually not so forthcoming with enough food to satisfy one's appetite) and the food rich and filling. I couldn't finish mine (I had the pike) and happily gave the rest to Dave. As a result, I enjoyed myself without indigestion.

The service was also excellent - consistant without being intrusive, pleasant personalities (no uber hyper 'Hi! My name is Jamie and I'll be your SERVER tonight!') and we never had to ask for anything. But my favorite part was still the cool jellyfish ceiling lamps. :-)


3 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Wow! That sounds and looks fantastic! Sometimes you eat somewhere and find that you actually get value for money, and I don't mean pile your plate as high as you can and hog down. Thanks for posting the pictures, too--great!

Dana Fredsti said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Marian!

Man, it's like a ghost town around here!

Lisa Hall said...

I just love a fancy meal every now and then. The atmosphere looks so neat!