Saturday, October 25, 2008

When Not Even Chocolate Makes Things Better


It's October, almost Halloween. Usually my favorite time of the year. But we just lost one of our foster kittens (we took in a year old Mom cat and her four newborn kittens to save them from a shelter in Fresno) to pneumonia and I am so friggin' sad, nothing is cheering me up.

There is a box of See's Candy sitting in our kitchen, a gift from the gal who persuaded us to foster this particular batch of felines. She bought a pound of our favorite See's chocolates (butterscotch squares, dark chocolate truffles, cashew brittles and, for Dave, dark almond clusters) as a thank you for taking in these furry little babies. I love See's Candy. I know I'll enjoy them. But not today. My appetite is pretty much down the toilet, along with my creativity.

Fostering young kittens, especially from crowded shelters, is always a risk. Disease runs through the population and even an URI can be deadly to the fragile immune systems of these babies. We figured with the momma cat nursing them, they stood a good chance; mother's milk gives kittens a certain amount of natural immunity. But three out of the four caught her cold, one of them lost his sense of smell and couldn't find his way to Mom's milk dispenser, so we've been bottle feeding him. I think he's made it past the danger point. Another has an eye infection and we were worried about him this morning...but it was one of our little orange boys who ended up getting really sick in a matter of hours. Fine last night, a little shaky this morning and then, two hours later, deathly ill. The vet did his best...we bought a humidifier and childrens nose drops after the kitten was given antibiotics and fluids...sat for hours with him in the bathroom and thought we'd pulled him through. But he slipped away from us in his sleep a little while ago...looking so peaceful we couldn't tell if he was dead...

I hate this. There shouldn't be things that can't be fixed by See's Candy.

7 comments:

Gayle said...

So, so sorry, Dana.

Dana Fredsti said...

thanks, Gayle. I tried to write an upbeat post about Sees, but it just wasn't happening. The other kittens are doing well and we both did enjoy some of our chocolate today. I'm not sure why my post doesn't show the Monday 12am time I set it for, though...

Marian Allen said...

Oh, Dana, I'm so sorry! It's so hard to lose an animal--we feel they depend so utterly on us, but they don't, you know. They depend on the animus of animals, and they understand that we're as helpless in the hands of Fate as they are. I think our animals know, somehow, that we would cut off bits of our lives and feed the bits to them if it would help, just as they would for us, but there's only so much we can do. I've looked into the eyes of animals I've had to take in to be put to sleep, and seen such love and understanding and forgiveness it will nourish my heart forever. Big hugs, my dear.

Lisa Hall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Hall said...

It is obvious, and admirable, that you love these kitties with all your heart. Sees was lucky to have had you!

Dana Fredsti said...

Marian, I know just what you mean about that look in their eyes when you have to let them go... I try very hard not to second guess myself when I lose one, be it one of my own brood or my fosters, but dang me... I wouldn't give it up, though. When they thrive, it's just a joy.

Thanks, Lisa, for your kind words!

Cheri said...

Some people can't understand how somthing like this can be so emotional, but to all pet lovers... it's no mystery. Your love and empathy for all creatures of God, shows.