Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tickled Pink!

I've got the color pink on the brain. For one thing, it is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I'm inspired by hope when I see all the pink ribbons. I'm thankful that most people I know who have had breast cancer can now call themselves breast cancer survivors! I love that women can face this disease with dignity and lots of support.
I'm also tinkled pink because................I'm having a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This pink phase has led me to post a pink dessert. The Culinary Arts class at a high school where I was employed used to make this. Instead of molding it, they spooned it into dessert cups. It's light, delicious, and pretty in pink!
This dessert is even mentioned in my book, Cheaters, Pies, and Lullabies. When one of my characters finds herself immersed in pink at a Mary Kay party, she feels as though she is inside a big bowl of this, which wouldn't be so bad!

Strawberry Bavarian Cream
Serves 6 Ready In: 1-2 hrsIngredients:
1 package (10 ounce size) frozen sliced strawberries, thawed
1 cup boiling water
1 package (3 ounce size) strawberry-flavored gelatin
1 cup chilled whipping cream or1 envelope (2 ounce size) dessert topping mix
Directions:Drain strawberries, reserving syrup. Pour boiling water over gelatin in bowl, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Add enough cold water to reserved syrup to measure 1 cup. Stir into dissolved gelatin. Chill until almost set. In chilled bowl, beat cream until stiff. If using dessert topping mix, prepare as directed on package. Beat gelatin until foamy. Fold gelatin and strawberries into whipped cream. Pour into 1-quart mold or into individuals molds. Chill until firm. Unmold.

3 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Lisa, congratulations on your coming girl! My husband and I have four girls, each so different from the others and each blessed and beautiful--despite all the gray hairs they've given us! lol! Let's not forget to start every day clicking on http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=2 , The Breast Cancer Site, where your clicks go toward free mammograms for women who couldn't otherwise afford them.

Gayle said...

Congtatulations, Lisa! When is your due date?

zhadi said...

Lisa, congrats!!! That's awesome news!

My mom is a breast cancer survivor and I actually just bought a bottle of wine that gives part of the proceeds to breast cancer studies.