Wednesday, October 29, 2008

SEC Football, Pimento Cheese and Chicken Wings!

This coming Saturday, The University of Tennessee Vols will play the University of South Carolina Gamecocks. Now, I'm a UT fan, but if I weren't, I might have to root for South Carolina. It has become a tradition for my husband and I, along with a couple of other friends, to make the trip to Columbia, South Carolina every other year to see our Vols play as the away team. We keep coming back because the hospitality is second-to-none.
Honestly, it is unbelievable how nice their fans are. We wear our Tennessee orange all weekend, and rarely gone anywhere that a South Carolina fan doesn't go out of their way to welcome us to their home turf, and tell us that they hope we're having a great time.
One of the most fun parts of our trip is tailgating before the game with some friends who are South Carolina alumni. I can't post on Fatal Foodies without talking about food! So, let me tell you, the tailgaiting food is awesome! The two most prominent items at any South Carolina tailgait party seem to be pimento cheese sandwiches and chicken wings. The pimento cheese is always homemade, and ALWAYS made with Duke's mayo.
Chicken wing restaurants are quite plentiful in Columbia, South Carolina. Most will offer a huge variety of flavors, from hot and spicy to tangy and sweet.
So, I hope the Vols win this Saturday, but with all the hospitality and good food, I won't be complaining!

No comments: