Saturday, October 18, 2008

Raisin Tarts

First of all, congratulations to Lisa on the upcoming feminine addition to her family.  We can’t have enough girls.


Last week I mentioned that we’ve had some excitement around here lately, and not of the good kind, either.  My husband is having blood issues -i.e. he doesn’t have any - and had to have a big old transfusion.  Everything is back to normal, at least for the moment, but the whole incident certainly made me reconsider our diet.  I have noted before that we are very health-foodie, which certainly isn’t going to change now.  However, the plan now is to go on a blood building diet, which should include lots of spinach, apricots, omega-3 eggs, molasses, and cast-iron skillets.


(I’m suddenly reminded of the scene in the movie Moonstruck, in which Cher tells Nicolas Cage that she’s cooking a steak for him.  “I like mine well-done,” he says, and she replies, “You’ll eat this one bloody, to feed your blood.”  But I digress.)


Another iron rich food is raisins.  The problem with raisins is that unless they’re cooked, he can’t digest them very well.  So, after much thought, I’m making raisin tarts this evening.  These things are so caloric, as well as being power-packed, that normally I would never make a batch and have them hanging around the house tempting me. But I’m certainly willing to sacrifice my figure for my husband’s health.


Raisin Tarts


Line an eight-cup muffin tin with pie crust pastry.  Combine 1 1/2 cups of seedless raisins, 2 tablespoon of chopped walnuts, 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice (this is what the recipe calls for, but I use apple juice), and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.  Spoon the  filling into the pastry-lined muffin cups and bake at 400 degrees for fifteen or twenty minutes.  Enjoy.


Last but not least, I haven’t had the opportunity to check out Gayle’s virtual book tour yet (see previous entry), but I’m very interested and certainly will.  I hope you’ll keep up fully informed on how it’s going, Gayle.


2 comments:

zhadi said...

Can your husband have olives and such as well? I think they're supposed to be very good for one's health/blood as well. Glad he's feeling better and you are VERY noble to make raisin tarts and have that temptation around the house!

Donis Casey said...

Thanks, Zhadi. Sadly, I love olives, too, and now must go buy a bunch.