Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Magna cum Murder

My mother and I are gearing up for one of the highlights of our year--Magna cum Murder. Held every year in Muncie, Indiana, Magna is a convention/workshop of mystery writers and readers that's also like family reunion always open to new members.

This year's Guest of Honor is Louise Penny, and our favorite mystery writer of all time, Michael Z. Lewin, will also be there. If you haven't read any of his books, I highly recommend them! Two of his series characters work out of Indianapolis, where Lewin originated, Albert Samson as a PI and Leroy Powder with the Indianapolis PD's Missing Persons Department. They usually cross paths, or at least mention one another, in their own books. A third series is set in Bath, England, where Lewin lives now. It features the Lunghi family, of Italian extraction, now three generations working together in a detective business. Lewin's characters are real, his situations are screwy enough to be believable, and his dialog is great.

Oh--just to keep the food in here--Albert Samson's mother owns and runs Bud's Dugout, the best diner in Indy.
MA

4 comments:

Gayle said...

Hi, Marian:

I've heard people talk about Magna Cum Murder but I've never been myself. I know I'd love it! Be sure and tell us all about it.

Donis Casey said...

Say hello to Jim Huang and Denise Hanania for me. Bouchercon (the BIG mystery conference is in Indianaoplis in 09 - I can't wait to see it. I must read another Louise Penny book now, and you've made me want to add Michael Z. Lewin to my mile-high TBR pile, as well.

Lisa Hall said...

Have a great time! It sounds like lots of fun.

zhadi said...

Have a great time at MCM, Marian!