Saturday, October 11, 2008

Comfort

We had a family emergency this week, which is why I'm a bit late posting this today.  It entailed a trip to the emergency room and a hospital stay, but everything is better now.  This is just one of those things that happens and one has to deal with as one goes through life.

For the past few days, I've been leaving the house early in the morning and getting home at about ten p.m., pooped beyond human understanding.  What does one do about eating in such a situation?  In my case, I snacked around on vending machine food with the occasional cafeteria salad.  Then, when I finally got home at night, I would end my day with the food that comforts me the most in times of stress - toast.

Toast is a benign presence, a comforting friend, so familiar and unthreatening.  And it can be personalized to fit your needs, fancy or plain, sweet or savory.  I like a good plain dry piece of wheat toast dipped in a glass of milk like a cookie when my emotions, or my stomach, can't take one more iota of excitement.  Nothing can beat a nice hunk of  buttered toast for an indulgence - better than a shoulder to cry on.  I love cinnamon toast, too.  Butter the bread first, toast it in the toaster oven, and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Or sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over the unmelted butter before toasting.

Need a little protein?  Melt a piece of cheese on the bread in the oven.  And as for jam, well, there's a thesis that deserves an in-depth exploration.  But I'm having a bit of a post-emergency crash right now, so I'm off to take a nap.  

When I wake up, maybe it'll be strawberry jelly...

4 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Donis, I'm so sorry for the family emergency. I sure know that drill.

Ah, toast! Dry multi-grain toast with orange marmalade or peanut-butter-and-honey--mmmmmm!

Ever had milk toast? Now THERE'S a comfort food to be reckoned with. Butter a piece of toast and put it in a bowl. Heat some milk with more butter, salt and pepper, and pour it over the toast. Eat it while there's still a little crunch to parts of it.

French toast--heaven! Better still, French toast made with cinnamon-raisin bread. Oh boy oh boy!

Donis Casey said...

I get more good ideas from you people! I had to immediately get up and have some orange marmalade.

CarolD said...

Donis, you know me, I love to put a sunny-side-up egg on a piece of dry whole wheat toast and try to eat held over a plate without dripping the yolk all over creation. Yummy and fun, too!

Also, tuna, a slice of tomato, and a slice of cheese toasted or "baked" in the toaster oven is a delight...cheese and tomato would be great...I hear a new lunch item calling me!

zhadi said...

Donis, I'm glad I read your latest post first and know your husband is feeling better!

One of my favorite treats is dark brown bread (whole grain and thick) toasted, with a little butter and honey and some Norwegian Gehost cheese melted on top...