Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bread, Bread, Bread

Charlie and I are bread-heads. I was steered to the greatest book: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. The title is a little disingenuous, but it isn't far from the truth. You make up a big batch and keep it in the refrigerator. When you want bread, you pull out a chunk, let it rise 20-30 minutes and then bake it. So it takes considerably longer than five minutes a day, but not as long as starting fresh every day and going through two rises.

The best part is that you can do Stuff with it. Sometimes I add herbs to my daily chunk, sometimes I work in Asiago cheese, sometimes I work in honey and cinnamon and raisins.

Now--how about those Giants, eh? Oh, sorry, got caught up in football fever. I meant to talk about giants with a lower-case "g". The ones who grind bones to make their bread. High in calcium, but probably very difficult to get to rise. Wonder what kind of yeast they use, or if they eat flatbread?

Well, that's enough of that.

1 comment:

zhadi said...

Bread...my thighs and stomach hate it...and yet love it too... droooool...