Friday, September 19, 2008

That'll Teach You!

Did you know potato chips were invented in a moment of spite?

In 1853, George Crum (appropriate and not a joke!), head chef at Moon's Lake House in Sarasota Springs, New York was insulted when a customer told Crum his French fries were too thick and soggy and not salty enough. Crum then sliced some potatoes paper thin, fried them to a singed brown and salted the dickens out of them. The customer loved them. "Saratoga Chips" were born. The chips remained a delicacy until the Prohibition era when good old Herman Lay took the product into the Southeast.

So now that you know where potato chips got their start, why don't you make up a batch of potato chip cookies? I got the recipe below from The Best Bake Sale Ever Cookbook by Barbara Grunes; and, trust me, these cookies are so good you could just eat the batter without ever even baking the cookies.

Potato Chip Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup crushed plain potato chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light, about 2 minutes. Mix in the flour, vanilla, and crushed potato chips. The dough will be soft.

Drop the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls about 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten the dough mounds slightly with the back of a spoon.

Bake in the center of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden on the bottom and firm to the touch.

Cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheets, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Yum!

While I'm on the subject of chips, does anyone remember this jingle?

Moore's potato chips go with two smiling lips, sunny days and happy feelings.
They go with scary shows, January snows and balloons that float to the ceiling.
Oh, no matter what for,
You'll always want Moore's potato chips.
You'll always want Moore's!


I can sing the Coolie jingle, too, but that must wait for another time. :-)

7 comments:

Donis Casey said...

Potato chips are my absolute worst food weakness - more than chocolate, even. They're like crack. One chip and I'm doomed. That slogan about not being able to eat just one is no joke. And now I have to try this cookie recipe and will probably end up with yet another addiction.

Marian Allen said...

There's a local candy shop that sometimes has...chocolate-covered potato chips. --groan-- My all-time major weakness is potato chips and chocolate-iced chocolate cake. Donis, I am totally like you--I could eat myself sick on potato chips. I seldom have them in the house.

zhadi said...

hee hee...Love the jingle. And the story of potato chips. That chef unleashed a world of delicious fat and carbs on the rest of us, damn his eyes...

LLA said...

I found this post via a Google search for "Moore's Potato Chips Jingle" - I got it stuck in my head this morning, but couldn't get the lyrics just right (the "scary shows" part was what I couldn't remember!)

Thank you for making my day and having the words for me! Although, now I'm intrigued... You know Moore's potato chips and the Coolie jingle??? I'm suspecting an East Tennessean... here's the real test - what about the Leo Carrier jingle????

Trivia Fan said...

I remember that one; how about this one? "Let the chips fall where they may; Moore's potato chips...OK! Chipper says they're crisp and light; you'll love Moore's at the very first bite...chips, chips, chips, chips, get Moore's, get Moore's, get Moore's potato chips."
I was hoping to find a video of that one, but I could not. I think it may have been filmed only in Black & White, but WCYB TV 5 was the first color station in the area, so they may have produced a color version of the commercial at some point...

Trivia Fan said...

The Leo jingle...as best I remember...to the tune of Davy Crockett..
"Born on a mountain top in Tennessee; raised in the hills of a hickory tree; killed his first bug when he was only three; and the last bug I saw said 'he's after me!' Leo...Leo...Carrier...king of the bug frontier."

Lisa Pippin said...

Coo,coo,coolie,orange coolie,lemon coolie,coolie fruit punch!! Coolie in the morning,Coolie at lunch,Coolie in the evening...